Thursday, August 21, 2014

Tony Jenkins (the LAst Misfit) Interviews Justin Mcpatches of UHR/NFA

Usually Mcpatches asks the Questions ..but for a change it went the other way.
A big thank you to Tony Jenkins who is a great guy. Now read on!

Tony Jenkins

The Bloody Disgusting Underground Horror Radio Interview
With Justin McPatches
by Tony Jenkins (Infectious Effects Promotions)
Note: This interview was recorded some time ago, so some things are contextual at that time period, with replies being made in a modern setting of 8/21/14. Thanks for reading, and here's to the success of Underground Horror Radio, Justin McPatches and all of his other shows and affiliates!

1.      Okay, we both have some punk background to us, so we can expect this interview to be honest on a blunt cunt level and hilarious, right, right?

I don’t see why not. I am pretty fucking honest as you know. Why? What the hell have you heard? Because it's bullshit! Unless it's I'm a standup guy. Because that too, is bullshit. Just saying.

TJ: I've heard nothing but good things. Unless asking Jacks Insanity. He says you're an asshole. Haha! Kidding, kidding. You're an alright dude, that's for sure, man.

2.      The first thing I want to ask... is how the hell does one get into horror when they live in sunny ass Florida where it's nothing but beaches, “bitches” and orange trees? I mean c'mon man!

Florida is full of old people and graveyards, because old people move here to die. No really that’s not bullshit. Let's see... How can there be horror. Because well the internet, TV, comic books, novels. It's accessible everywhere in this day and age. Now a horror scene? That’s a different matter. Florida is home to some great independent directors and authors and home to a few conventions including Spooky Empire, which has the largest show in the south east. So a few times year the world heads to Florida to celebrate horror. Not to mention we got Universal Studios'  Halloween Horror Nights which kicks a lot of fucking ass. And there is some good Florida horror bands. Not a whole that (that I know anyway) but still some good ones.

TJ: That's gotta suck. Even when I'm old, if I even make it that long, I couldn't afford to move to Florida nor would I want to. I love thunderstorms and an actual feeling of Halloween too much. I would however love to at least see Halloween Horror Nights once or ten times. That'd be hella awesome.

3.      Alright! Haha. More seriously, what actually got you into your horror background that you have today? Were you like me and left to your own devices to watch your grandma's VHS tapes of Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street? I'm still wondering why she had those. I mean, I suppose they could've been one of my aunts but... Anyway! To the question!

Oh shit… Well I've always loved horror since I was a kid. I read Goosebumps and Fear Street in elementary school and middle school. In my teens I would watch a lot of Sci-fi Channel and go to Blockbuster and even buy shit from Walmart. I lived in a small town, but we had it all. Nightmare on Elm Street series, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and most of the Hellraisers, Night of the Demons 1 and 2 and even Witchboard. So I would just read a shit ton and watch Buffy and rent and buy horror movies. In fact one of the first horror moves that I bought was from good old Walmart. Evil Dead 2 on VHS. Still one of my favorites today. So yeah, I've always loved horror and still do.




TJ: Sounds like you've got more in your town than mine ever had or probably ever will again. I've picked up movies here and there from Walmart. I think that's how I got Romero's Martin amongst others. I know it's kinda “the system” and all, but man when you're poor and want your horror fix, it's hard to beat Walmart's prices on things. Plus their $7.50 Halloween tees! They're coming up soon and I can't wait!

4.      So somewhere around a year ago... That's right! Congrats on the upcoming anniversary fucker! Somewhere around a year ago you decided to get a podcast going dealing with all things horror and underground, from all sorts of music, to doing interviews of your own with local and celeb horror figures at conventions and really giving it some more exposure with your own voice and words. What brought this about? Were you just bored one day and decided Not For Air needed a sister or what?

Shit I’ve had a lot of side shit spin from Not For Air. I think Underground Horror Radio is my fourth show idea, maybe fifth. Itss besides NFA underground the only one to really stick. I kind of always wanted to do a horror show. I mean the original podcast was about comics, Sci-fi and horror. Some fun geeky shit. The music stuff came later. And thank you by the way about the anniversary. We broke another barrier and we are happy.

Yeah, the thing is that NFA now and UHR aren’t really podcasts. At least in my eyes. I consider them radio shows. To me a radio shows have a format and music. Not always, but fuck I wanted to do something fun and play horror punk and psychobilly and just not around Halloween. I wanted to have a show where I could talk about horror and not just in October. So when I met the amazing Nicole Vlachos (Author)... No really, the (Author) is part of her fucking name. When we got together, I said “Hey let's do a horror radio show together and I'll let you host it. I'll co-host and do all the tech bullshit stuff and promotion.” Not a bad idea at all. She was a published horror author, and it would help get her name out there and promote her books, and I got the music and radio side of it. She loves it and I'm very proud of her. The show is awesome and it's 90% because of her. The reason though I didn’t do it sooner was because of me and the original NFA crew. If we did a horror show plus NFA, it really wouldn’t have been two different shows, and I didn’t want the same show twice. And between the two, UHR is the better, but NFA is still my baby. It kinda started it all.

TJ: I've always seen them as radio shows. I tell people that my music has been played on independent punk and horror internet radio shows. To me, that's what it is. I understand about the partner thing. Sometimes it just takes the right partner to come along to get things going. That's how I feel about meeting Truant and getting things going after heckling him about a horror punk band for a while. Haha! I'd bothered him for a while about it. That's pretty cool though. I'm definitely glad that UHR is working out for you. I love seeing more horror vehicles get out there and really making progress

5.      Sorry, I was staring off into space there a minute about Jenkies the Clown. Where were we? Oh yes! How about you go ahead and tell us about some of your favorite horror movies and characters real quick.

Who the fuck is Jenkies the clown? Don’t change the subject! I want to know who the fuck you were staring out at? Did he say something to you!?  What does he know!?

Oh yes the list I suppose we all have a list of characters we love. JAWS is number one. Always. Killer movie and book. And I love Bruce the Shark and Brody. Quint because Quint is an asshole. Nightmare on Elm Street! Part 4 is the favorite. I loved all the characters in that one. Met the cast and they are awesome. I love Friday the 13th 6 and 7, and yes even Jason X. Kane Hodder is kickass period. Got to love Jason. Ginger snaps is also one of my all time favorites. Ginger and Bridgette, and their mom played by Mimi Rogers.
TJ: Freddy haunted my nightmares until I was 16. I think I started watching horror around 8 or 9, and Part 3 was one of the earliest horror films I'd watched, next to the original Friday the 13th. Both thanks to my grandma's VHS tapes. Brody was definitely a badass, I'll give you that. Kane Hodder! I want to meet that man sometime and steal his custom Hatchet Man. Katharine Isabelle... Been crushing on her since Ginger Snaps, and she definitely warmed me up in American Mary, also. I need a woman like that, except maybe a little more punk/psychobilly driven and punk/goth dressed. Then I'd be set! Haha! Oh, and don't worry about Jenkies... He'll make a serious debut sometime soon enough. Maybe.
6.      Touching a little more on some of your favorite characters, what really draws you into them? Do you feel they represent you on any level, or do you have some sort of connection to them in the sense that you can see where they're coming from? I think Frankenstein is a universal figure many can relate to if they take the time to think about it, but I'll probably save that for an in-depth writing

Well Freddy isn’t exactly a role model. With the kid touching and murdering and shit.  I do like the story, I will say, of a town killer who gets away and gets murdered and in return comes back for revenge against the kids. Jason is different in sure, he died as kid and came back being a supernatural mongoloid, killing all who get in his way. I totally can relate. I get up with my huge fucking head and I go killing people who come near my house. Is that what Jenkies told you because fuck him it's not true. Not really, I don’t watch a whole lot of these movies for hidden meanings. I like body count.  And good stories (think JAWS).

TJ: Hell no Freddy wasn't a role model, but later on as the 80's it didn't stop people for rooting for him. Look how huge and iconic he had become. As for Jason, it's a misconception he died as a kid. That was a nightmare sequence, and everyone only thought that he had died as a kid, including his mom. However, as we see in the second one, he grew up to be an adult. Guess he got lost for a year and couldn't find his way back to camp? I dunno. It's never really quite clearly explained how a year after his “drowning” he didn't find his mom. He didn't become the supernatural juggernaut we love today until part 6 came along, with his Frankenstein esque resurrection. So all that other damage in 2-4 he was all human. That's impressive as shit.

7.      By the way, here's a quick shout out to Jacks Insanity aka Chris over at Podunk Radio! He's awesome. Have you guys done any crossover work where he comes on and does a call in or hosts UHR?

Jacks Insanity and I do work on some things together. I try to help out when I can. He's never co-hosted any of my shows yet, but someday he will. I do really look up to the guy. I have learned a lot about radio since coming to Podunk Radio and I love this station. I have freedom to do my shows how I want to do them. And his show Podunk Radio punk show, I’ve called in before and it is a kick ass show. I recommend it for anyone who loves punk rock and not giving a fuck. Really the whole station is like that. Can’t say enough good things about Podunk or Jacks Insanity.
TJ: You guys seem like a close knit type deal, so that's respectable and admirable both. I think freedom in projects is vastly important to its strength of character and delivering the vision behind it. If I ever get big enough to be picked up by a label, it's going to be one that respects my creativity and doesn't stifle it or try to direct me solidly in any one direction or style.
8.      Speaking of your own punk background earlier, how about you go ahead and give us some details on that and your history. Were you in bands? Raised around it? Friends in bands? I wanna know all the dirt on the beer bottle and hear some of your awesome stories about being in the scene.

Well I was kind of geeky in school growing up. But I listened to radio all the time and down here at the time, we had a great radio station called 103.1 THE BUZZ. So you had your Green Day, Blink 182, the occasional Social D Ring of Fire on. Cake too, back in the 90's when all this new music and punk, whether pop punk or not was forming. So I heard a lot of that, and my mom got me into the Ramones. It wasn't really until after high school when I left home and traveled around till I got in to punk rock the music. Underground stuff, FYE had a way better musical selection back then tot. My frame of mind has always been punk. I'm not fond of authority, and I tend to just do what the fuck I want in the long run. My buddies growing up had that mentality as well. But since 2001, I've been to a lot of shows and met a lot of cool bands. 

I remember the first show I went to in Port Saint Lucie, where I currently live. Back in 2002 I met up with a friend I just met not too long after moving here and he was in punk music as well. I'm like “Let's go.” So we found a show. I think it was all ages. (sigh) I was 20 years old and it was at a police gymnasium or center or some shit. I was like The FUCK!? Punk and police doesn’t go together. So the band was some pop punk band and I was like “Oh, okay, I get it.” They were good but I was like yeah this no moshing and people standing around in a place monitored by cops isn’t for me, so we left not long after. Lucky there have been a lot of badass shows since then here and elsewhere.

No bottle man, I'll take  a nice cold pint though. I didn’t have any friends in bands growing up. That all happened way after. Haha!

TJ: It's all good man. I dabbled in it in high school, but it wasn't until about 2006 I really started getting into punk and horror punk more seriously. After all my time obsessing with metal, intricate melodies, badass riffing and epic symphonic sections and all, I just kinda grew bored and wanted shorter, more up temp, solid 4/4 type deals. Actual songs. People remember songs, but it seems only hardcore fans remember riffs and solo harmonies. I still listen to some black, doom and power metal styles here and there, and some “viking” metal type deals; but for the most part I'm much happier with a few chords and actual songs. I've mellowed out a bit over time for damn sure.

9.      Sometimes when I have to go about interviewing someone, I wanna just put a recorder on the table and say “Let's have some beers” and just see what comes up. It doesn't always work out that way though. What do you think? Think that'd be an awesome way to handle an interview? Probably not. We'd probably get in trouble and say some incriminating shit. Hahahahaha!
Shit that’s how 95% of the interviews I do are like that. Granted not a recorder, but my computer and mixer. But that’s how’s its been since day one my friend. I am not really Mr.Q&A. Haha!
Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with it, and I like doing them. Mmore so when I'm getting asked the questions. If I have to do a written one then yes, that’s the way to go. But if I got a microphone or a phone then it's my way. I like to have a conversation. I learn more from the person by bullshitting than most straight “I have a list” questions. I'm laid back when it comes to doing interviews. I want to have fun, but it depends if it's an actor or a named act, it might be harder. But most independent artists, actors or bands are super chill and we just bullshit and it's awesome. Sometimes drinks are involved depends on what’s happening. But yeah man, I'm all about let’s just talk about anything.
TJ: That's pretty cool. That's how things should be. I've got a small list of people I wanna meet and chill with over drinks. Katharine Isabelle, Kane Hodder, Argyle Goolsby, Jerry Only, Windhawk, Elvira, the future groupies of Truant... I mean, what? Nevermind that last bit there.
10.  Diehard horror fans have made a pastime of critiquing the shit out of modern horror movies. I know it, you know it. We both love to do this. What are some modern horror movies you've absolutely hated and loved to tear down, that were probably so bad you were saying shit in theaters about it aloud? On the flip side, what are some horror movies you loved recently? I still have my memory of You're Next. I went by myself, because you know, I don't give a fuck and am cool like that. I was literally laughing through it and shed a tear or two over the facial expressions of the family members as they watched one another die. I swear this had to be an upwards budget indie flick. It was just too good to have come from Hollywood! Ah... Good times. I was laughing so much I'm certain I unnerved those around me. A guy and his girlfriend leaving the theater were speaking, and I'm sure he was talking about me when he said “...that guy creeps me out.” No shit! The Joker and Harley Quinn are on my vest and I was just dying from laughter through the movie! A blender! Classic!

Nothing wrong with The Joker! I'm sure when I walk of a movie and there have a few times where I have this look. You know like this dumb founded, “I'm not sure where the fuck I am” look after a movie and I'm walking around talking to myself going “What the FUCK did I just watch? What the fuck was that!?” (X-Men 3 is still the all time for that). It happened just recently in fact, as me and Nicole watched this movie. We do this often for what we call our Red Box Rental for UHR. So we were watching this movie called Ritual, and I swear I felt like my brain was just getting stupider and turning to fucking mush. I haven’t felt that in a film, since Napoleon Dynamite. And then I felt that I was being punished in some sort of manor for something I didn’t remember doing wrong. This Ritual movie was no different. We kept waiting for it to get better or some sort of fucking payoff and it never delivered. Fucking awful.

Now I have in the last few years I've seen some great movies. GhostShark (I kid you not). The top though that did deliver was EVIL DEAD (2013). Loved that film. I know there is no Ash or Bruce, but I think that was fine. The story was solid and I really fucking loved it. Brutal as all hell too.  And speaking of You’re Next, that was another movie which I heard things about and finally watched it and yeah I thought that was killer too.
TJ: Let's not talk about X-Men 3, or it's somewhat confusing follow up Days of Future Past. Napoleon Dynamite was fun to me, but I thought it was a geek anthem. I hated it when kids in high school with me started loving it, and I'm staring at them like “Are you fucking kidding me? You make fun of of us that are nerds, yet you're going to love a movie that's like our anthem? Fuck off.” The new Evil Dead to me wasn't a remake. I can see other groups of people going through that series of events, too. I dug it. It was awesome, brutal, paid homage, was just all around badass. And hell yeah You're Next was wicked! Glad someone agrees.
11.  My cousin Brandon seems to think that the true greatness of modern horror lies with independent promotions and filmmakers. What do you have to say on this matter? Would you agree, disagree? “Long live guerrilla film making!” - Cecil B. Demented.
Oh yeah DIY all the way! Now don’t get me wrong, it;s not always great (Ritual), but some of the future looks amazing in horror with Anthony C Ferrante, Jimmyo Burril, Scott Spiegel, Jessica Cameron, Jason Daly and the Soska Sisters to name a few. It really is about passion for what you do. And all who I named have it. I'm very fond of independent projects and ideas things being that my shows are all independent. And there is a sense of family as well working with other people who have a passion. With technology now and thanks to YouTube people can make movies or shows easily, and I'm excited for it everyday. Always something new.
TJ: This is true. Independents with passion definitely help fuel projects, especially doing it for the love of the game and not money. That's what's up. I also agree with having a sense of family. Coming into Horror Hound coming up in two weeks, I'm definitely stoked to walk away seeing if I made any new friends and contacts. Should be an absolute blast. Can't wait for you to hear the culmination of our visions on the new horror punk we're dropping, too. I think you'll love it, as well as anyone reading.
12.  If you had your ideal cast and soundtrack for a horror movie, who are some of the actors and bands or artists you'd feature? Don't say the idea is copyrighted, I'll probably end up stealing it later on.

I don’t fucking know that’s a lot to list. Kathrine Isabelle for sure. Jessica Cameron, the Soska Twins, James Roday, Kane Hodder, and Andras Jones and Dan Hassel. I don’t have a plot, or money to throw around, but I'd have Social D and Danzig alongside the Ghetto Zombies and Venus Devilo write and sing creepy tunes. And I'd have Tim Burton involved, if nothing else just to ask him the fuck is up with the last few movie he's made.

TJ: I gotcha. That's quite the cast. As for Tim? Well... I dunno. Love the guy's work, but he's done some head scratchers on me, too. Sad thing is, many people are like “I love his films, they're so dark!” Well, yes, and no. They're like dark... lite. With a touch of bubblegum. Not that I mind it, but he's not the darkest around. I thought the Interview with the Vampire film was a splendid drama and dark, yet most loving Tim's work favor Queen of the Damned. I don't get it. Don't worry though. When your robot movie hits, that's going to be awesome. Keep us updated on that by the way!

13.  What are some future plans that you have for UHR? Any actors you'd love to get interviews with, or pictures taken for the site? What about band interviews that have maybe played on soundtracks of or been featured in horror movies? They're few and far between, but still. I know if I heard any of my music in a horror movie I'd die from excitement. Make this shit happen McPatches! I know you've got connections!

Another hard one!. I'll say this. This last year has been bad fucking ass and just amazing for this show.  I've already interviewed and met some cool people. And I have a lot of it recorded and it will always be there and I love that. We are very fortunate to meet a shit ton of very very cool people. I would love to meet Katherine Isabelle. Hoping to meet James Marsters and Jason David Frank. Be really cool and probably insane to meet and interview Lloyd Kaufman. I met Jerry Only before it was cool. Hoping to meet Doyle in May. I want to at some point meet The Cadaver Club from Ireland and Venus Devilo in person. They are great supporters of this show over there and we can't love them enough. And hopefully get to meet you in person as well since you, my friend, are badass. I would love a film maker to listen to this show and take something from it, maybe a band they like, and help the band out and feature there tunes in a movie. That’s a fucking Win.

TJ: Aw shit! Thanks man. I'm not much a badass though. I don't do compliments well, nothing personal. I'd be ecstatic if someone took something from your show for use. I think that'd really say something about your shows as well as the artists they used.

14.  Go ahead and take this time to buy be another beer and do your shout outs. Steel Reserve if they have it, if not, Guinness or PBR. Sam Adams? I'm not picky.

You will drink Guinness and fucking like it! Fucking PBR... Get the fuck out of here with that shit. Steel Reserve is fucking barrel scrapings. How fucking dare you even mention that shit near me. Guinness or bust!


I would like to thank you for taking the time to deal with my crazy ass, and having any interest in any of my shows. I want to thank the bands who send us tunes. To get it out there it means a lot. I really do enjoy whoring people out and helping if I can. Especially for those who have such passion and love for what they do creatively. Shout to Podunk Radio and check out www.undergroundhorrorradio.blogspot.com for everything including interviews and listen to Podunk Radio every Thursday night for Not For Air Underground Radio. Check out our Facebook page, too. If you want to hang out and talk, follow me on Twitter @notforairpdcast and Saturday nights at 9 PM EST on Podunk Radio for Underground Horror Radio at www.podunkradio.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment